Monday, May 7, 2012

Dyeing with Dylon DIY Colored Denim Jeans/ Bleaching Destroying DIY Denim Jeans

This is a multipurpose post where I'll rehash what I did to get my bleached destroyed denim results as well as post my experience dyeing clothing with Dylon.   
**Make SURE you are in a well ventilated area, or take many breaks to avoid the fumes!  
**Bleach and dye at your own risk!


Bleaching Denim Jeans
I had good success in the past with DIYing my own bleach destroyed jeans.
This time I was a bit more nervous since I was bleaching the denim to almost complete white.  Optimally I would have been able to find a pair of plain white denim, but due to my preference in branding, and price constraints I was ok with having to do some bleaching. I highly recommend only doing this to a pair of jeans you no longer want, or a really cheap pair found at a consignment store as the results can vary.  These are just my methods, I can't claim that they will work exactly the same for you.  **Bleach and dye at your own risk!

Materials for Bleach Destroying Denim:
-Bleach
-Patience
-Good gloves
-A well ventilated area, either outside or in a vented bathroom


Optional items for varying bleach effects: 
-Lightening Dark Jeans: Bucket or washing machine

-Marbling Effect: bathtub or large flat bin
-Speckle Effect: Old Toothbrush
-Splash Tie-dye Effect: Rubber bands
-Drip, Drops, Large Splatters: Spray Bottle

Optional items for rips tears, distressing:
-Rips: Xacto knife or box cutter and thick cardboard backing
-Distressing: Xacto knife or box cutter or sand paper

Before on the Left, After on the Right
For this Look
**Make SURE you are in a well ventilated area, or take many breaks to avoid the fumes!  
**Bleach and dye at your own risk!

I used a very high concentration of bleach to water ratio.  Mostly bleach and a splash of water in a spray bottle since I wanted a high contrast look (3/4 bleach 1/4 water).  To get more of a watercolor/bleed look you'll want to dampen the jeans first.  If you want very harsh lines/crisp effects then start with jeans dry.  I gathered up parts of the jean I wanted to create the tie dye star effect (right and left hips on the front, and knee area), and tied them up with a rubber band and sprayed the concentrated bleach concoction on these areas first.  The marbling on the back naturally occurred in the tub as I did this all with the jeans laying flat in the bottom of the tub so any excess bleach stayed at the bottom of the tub (start with a wet tub).  I also used an old toothbrush to create small sprays and speckles.  I used the spray bottle to create larger splatters and sprays. 
Rinse by hand when finished and run through your normal washing machine cycle with any whites you might need to wash as well (clothes that don't mind some excess bleach).


Tips: You can pause between the effects to see how they develop before layering on more.  If at anytime you are happy with the effect and strength, you can stop the bleaching by rinsing out the jeans. Have fun! and play with the different effects 


Before on the Left, After on the Right
For this Look
**Make SURE you are in a well ventilated area, or take many breaks to avoid the fumes!
**Bleach and dye at your own risk!

I wasn't getting very much wear out of the dark Siwy Penny crops.  Dark jeans in summer just don't seem to be my thing.  I decided to give bleaching out the entire pair of denim a shot and was really happy with the results.  I never expected them to get this light, but it was awesome!

To lighten the jeans I filled up a bucket with mostly bleach and some water, maybe 50/50 and soaked for several hours until I got the color that I wanted.  The higher concentration of bleach to water, the faster it will bleach, however the high amount of bleach over a prolonged period of time could start breaking down the fabric.  Denim is a bit more resilient, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I went on the safe side.  Rinse the jeans and you could be done, or if you want light bleaching effects read on.

For the bleaching effects I started in a wet tub, with the damp jeans and worked with a spray bottle with mostly bleach and some water (3/4 bleach 1/4 water)

Rinse by hand when finished and run through your normal washing machine cycle with any whites you might need to wash as well (clothes that don't mind some excess bleach).

Destroy / Distressing Jeans
-Wear the jeans first and mark the area you want to distress/rip/tear with pencil or chalk.
-Place thick cardboard backing behind the area you would like to rip/tear. 

-Cut a small line to create a hole and then begin to rub the blade on the edges to distress and tear the hole.  Make the hole bigger as your prefer. This effect will be enhanced in the washing machine.

-Rub sand paper or the flat of the blade on areas you'd like to distress, such as edges of pockets, the back hem line, etc.  Start small and work bigger as you can't go backwards!


Dyeing with Dylon
I love the new colored jeans trend, but I'm picky with my denim and my favorite brand has the perfect color, BUT at a retail price I'm not quite willing to shell out.  I wasn't able to find an affordable pair of plain white Siwy skinnies for my dye experiment, so went for a pair of Siwy superstitions that were on sale for a really awesome price.  Using a bucket of bleach and monitoring the process carefully I was able to lighten the jeans a very reasonable amount.


Before on the Left, After on the Right


Dye Materials
-Bucket
-Bathtub
-Good Gloves
-Something to stir with for the bucket
-Container to mix dye in
-Something to stir the dye mix
-Salt
-Dye Packets (Dylon)
-White cotton clothes (Cotton absorbs dye the best)


For the skirt and dress I wanted to go for a berry purple inspired by the Nanette Lepore Balloon dress in Violet.  And for the jeans I wanted to go for a pastel version of the color inspired by the Siwy Hannah in Violet.  For dye projects at home I knew not to expect such a vibrant color payout, but I wanted to see how close I could get. 

**Make SURE you are in a well ventilated area, or take many breaks to avoid the fumes!
**Bleach and dye at your own risk!
Instructions:
For the Berry Violet I mixed up
1 packet of Dylon Flamingo Pink
1 packet of Dylon Intense Violet

I tested the shade by dipping some toilet paper in the dye mix and it seemed to be a nice intense pinky violet.

Steps (Pretty much the steps on the Dylon packet):
1. Fill up the bucket with hot tap water until the garment has some room to swish around.
2. Evenly damp the clothing item (dunk it in the bucket and remove).
3. Mix up the dye packets in a separate container (to make sure you get all the granules). Enough to hold 6-8 cups of water.
4. Mix in 4 tbsp of salt into the bucket.
5. Pour in the dye to the bucket and mix.
6. Soak in garment and begin to stir.
7. I put my bucket in the tub and plugged and filled my tub with some water to rinse the clothing.  This also dilutes the dye to reduce chances of staining your tub.
8. Stir constantly!  Take a few short breaks if needed, but be sure to agitate the clothing to make sure the color is even.
9. After color concentration is achieved, (Go one shade darker than the color you are going for as some dye will wash out and when dry it will become slightly lighter), rinse out the clothing until the water runs clear (or mostly clear, you just don't want it to dye everything it touches on the way to the washing machine)

For the Pastel Violet, I actually mixed in an extra packet of Intense Violet after I had finished dyeing the Dress and Skirt and only swished it around for a couple of minutes until the denim achieved the color concentration I wanted.

I won't give exact timing as your results may vary.  Just monitor and constantly agitate the clothing to ensure an even color.

Notes: Each Dylon packet says it will dye up to 1/2 lbs of fabric, I was able to dye both the skirt and the dress with just 2 packets and the color concentration was excellent.  Please note Polyester threads or materials as well as hardware will not dye.  You can see some white threads in the dress where they probably used some kind of synthetic thread that does not take dye.



RESULTS!
Right after dye bath

After first Machine Wash

After air drying
Please excuse the lovely bathroom background...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. :)
    Now I definitely want to try bleaching and colouring a pair of jeans using this method. It's so difficult to find a colour I like, so this is a great substitute to trawling the shops.

    Ammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ammy x! DIY can be much more affordable and fun but there's always that slight element of surprise on what you get at the end! :)

      Delete